Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Company (MFTBC), a subsidiary of Daimler Truck, just lately unveiled the following era of its eCanter electrical truck mannequin.
The unique Fuso eCanter was launched in 2017 and since then, round 450 models have been delivered to prospects in Japan, Europe, North America, Australia, and New Zealand, protecting a complete of over six million kilometres (4 million miles).
The brand new eCanter, teased in March, represents an enormous step ahead because it really expands the eCanter from a single model to a complete household to cowl a variety of purposes.
There will likely be some 28 variants for the Japanese market and roughly 80 variants for abroad markets, which is an indication that the eCanter is prepared for prime time. At the least in keeping with the MFTBC’s presentation, the brand new model will likely be produced on a big scale.
Gross sales will start in Japan in Spring 2023, and the eCanter will likely be out there throughout all Fuso branches within the nation. The brand new electrical vehicles will likely be supplied additionally in Singapore, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.
The brand new eCanter seems to be a very fascinating mild truck with a variety of configurations and options, in addition to a redesigned inside and exterior.
Along with the present 7.5-ton (GVW) mannequin, there will likely be weight lessons starting from 4.25 tons to eight.55 tons. A brand new extensive cab (2,130 mm) will be a part of the usual cab width (1,700 mm), and the vary of wheelbases has additionally been expanded, from 2,500 mm as much as 4,750 mm.
When it comes to drive models, the Subsequent Era eCanter is provided with an eAxle, which integrates an electrical motor (110 or 129 kW) with the rear axle. Based on MFTBC, it was essential to make a extra compact drivetrain construction and increase to the product lineup.
On prime of that, relying on the wheelbase, there will likely be an choice to equip the truck with one, two or three batteries – 41.3 kWh every (so 41.4, 82.6 or 123.9 kWh).
Relying on the battery and model, the vary of the eCanter is estimated at respectively 80 km (50 miles), 140 km (87 miles) and 200 km (124 miles), in keeping with the corporate’s in-house take a look at in JE05 mode.
That is a noticeable enchancment, in comparison with about 100 km (62 miles) of vary within the case of the outgoing eCanter outfitted with an 82.9 kWh battery.
MFTBC says that the Subsequent Era eCanter is prepared for regular AC charging (on-board charger) and DC quick charging (though energy has not been disclosed within the press launch), in addition to energy export (V2X at some 10 kW).
In Japan, the automobile will likely be used with the CHAdeMO quick charging commonplace, whereas in different markets – particularly in Europe – we may be fairly positive that CCS Combo 2 will likely be utilised.
Amongst many fascinating options, the brand new eCanter may be optionally outfitted with the “ePTO” energy take-off unit, which allows particular function purposes, like a tipper, rear crane, or climate-controlled van physique.
There are additionally numerous EV-specific options, like 4 ranges of regenerative braking, battery pre-conditioning (throughout AC charging), and a few energy-saving setting, relating to heating (limiting heating to the seats and steering wheel).
The brand new MFTBC’s telematics answer Truckonnect will permit to trace the remaining mileage, and remaining EV battery capability, whereas the brand new Charging Administration System features a timer to cost automobile batteries when electrical energy prices are lowest.
On prime of that comes security options:
- Energetic Sideguard Help: “featured for the primary time in a FUSO light-duty truck, reduces the chance of accidents on turns by monitoring the blind spot on the aspect of the truck. When vital, the function prompts a collision mitigation brake system.”
- Energetic Brake Assis: “an emergency braking system with improved spatial recognition and pedestrian detection.”
- Energetic Consideration Help: “The motive force consideration monitoring system, helps the prevention of fatigue-induced incidents with white line recognition, numerous sensors and a facial recognition digital camera, warning the driving force with a buzzer and dashboard show.”
- Clever Headlight Management: “robotically switches between excessive or low beams, and Visitors Signal Recognition, which shows site visitors indicators recognised by the digital camera on the dashboard, are additionally featured.”
- Electrical Parking Brake: “maintains steady braking drive on hills”
- Again Eye Digicam System: “assists drivers in avoiding collisions whereas reversing”
To popularise the brand new electrical truck and improve the size, MFTBC is concurrently launching the FUSO eMobility Options arm to help prospects with complete help in all features (from monetary, via charging and different even battery life cycle administration).
Let’s hope that the Subsequent Era eCanter may even be competitively priced.
Subsequent Era Fuso eCanter specs:
- weight lessons: 4.25 tons to eight.55 tons (from 5 tons in Japan)
- cab width: 1,700 mm (commonplace) and a couple of,130 mm (extensive)
- wheelbase: from 2,500 mm as much as 4,750 mm
- battery choices and vary (1-3 batteries):
S: 41.3 kWh – 80 km (50 miles)
M: 82.6 kWh – 140 km (87 miles)
L: 123.9 kWh – 200 km (124 miles)
* in-house vary take a look at in JE05 mode
- rear-wheel drive (eAxle)
- system output: 110 kW or 129 kW
- AC or DC quick charging
- energy export: as much as 10 kW
* numbers may range relying available on the market